It takes a nation to protect the nation
About 90 women have reported being robbed, threatened or sexually molested at New Year celebrations outside Cologne's cathedral by young, mostly drunk, men, police said on Tuesday, in events they have described as 'a new dimension in crime'.
Cologne police chief Wolfgang Albers told a news conference officers described the men as looking as if they were from "the Arab or North African region" and mostly between 18 and 35 years old. "We have one complaint that represents a rape," he added.
Integration commissioner Aydan Ozoguz warned against putting foreigners and refugees, hundreds of thousands of whom have entered Germany largely from Middle Eastern war zones, under "blanket suspicion".
Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed shock over the attacks that police said occurred when about 1,000 men split into gangs as officers cleared a square to stop fireworks being thrown from the top of steps into the crowd below.
While politicians also urged people not to become wary of all refugees, the incident fueled calls from right-wing groups to stop letting in migrants.
Germany took in just over a million last year, far more than any other European country.
Cologne mayor Henriette Reker said it was "unbelievable and intolerable what happened on New Year's Eve" but there was no reason to believe those involved in the attacks were refugees.
Justice Minister Heiko Maas said Germany would not accept such attacks which he described as "a new scale of organized crime".
Around 150 people gathered in front of Cologne's cathedral on Tuesday evening to protest against violence against women. One of them held a sign saying: "Ms Merkel where are you? What do you say? This scares us!"
The right-wing Alternative for Germany (AfD), which has gained in polls in part at Merkel's expense thanks to a campaign against refugees, said she should close the border.
"Mrs Merkel, is Germany 'colorful and cosmopolitan' enough for you after the wave of crimes and sexual attacks?" tweeted AfD chief Frauke Petry.
Merkel told Reker in a phone call the attacks deserved a tough response.
"Everything must be done to investigate those responsible as quickly and completely as possible and punish them, regardless of where they are from," she said, according to her spokesman.
There are almost daily attacks on refugee shelters.
"Events like that in Cologne foster xenophobia," said Roland Schaefer, head of Germany's association of towns and localities.
After a crisis meeting, Cologne mayor Reker said new steps would be taken to avoid a repeat, including increasing police numbers at big events and installing more security cameras.
She stressed that women must feel safe at traditional carnival celebrations next month when the city closes down for five days of drunken street parades and parties.
Reker was stabbed in the neck and seriously hurt in October, just a day before she was elected mayor. Police said that attack appeared to be motivated by her support for refugees.
(Additional reporting by Joseph Nasr and Matthias Sobolewski in Berlin and Andreas Kranz in Cologne; Editing by Ruth Pitchford)
Cologne carnival outcome: Sexual offence complaints quadruple from 2015
So even with the eyes of the world on them, and increased police presence, they cant stop the sexual molesting. What will it be like when the media has lost interest, and the police are to busy to be there?
Japanese police arrest Turkish asylum seekers for gang rape of a woman.
Cologne and the feminist reaction ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Hb0IweJts&feature=em-uploadem...
At least two images from CCTV for CologneNYE show the "replacement population" carrying and shooting guns.
So, robberies, rapes and sexual assaults (on men and women) by gangs of Muslims working in concert; now turns out they were armed with lethal weapons. All this on NYE - not because the Germans were out protesting about Islam.
And this was concealed by the controlled media until sufficient people found out via the uncontrolled media.
On Twitter I no longer follow any of the controlled media. The content they pump out on Twitter offends me. When i go to visit their website, I must be able (semi-consciously) to filter out their celebrity gossip. On Twitter that's all they seem to pump out (this includes Telegraph and NYT). Sometimes I think "Brave New World" is closer to the model being served on us than "1984".
The women, aged 17 and 18, were sexually harassed by up to 10 men as they tried to enjoy the event in Berlin
According to police the young men surrounded the women as they danced in front of a stage at the "Karneval der Kulturen" festival on Saturday night.
Ten men were accused of surrounding and molesting the girls at the festival
The men allegedly pressed against the teens and groped them before blocking their attempts to escape.
The youngest victim also had her phone stolen, it is reported.
A 27-year-old bystander, who reportedly witnessed the scene, called the police when he spotted one of the girls sitting on the floor and shaking.
The young men aged between 14 and 17 were arrested and the mobile phone found.
Police tweeted that the three suspects were known to the police from prior incidents, adding that "two are of Turkish descent and the third is unknown".
Germany was blighted by attacks on New Year's Eve especially around Cologne's central train station
The "Karneval der Kulturen" or Carnival of Cultures is a four-day festival that celebrates diversity in Berlin.
The latest attack is reminiscent of that in the city of Cologne during New Year celebrations, where over 100 women reported being attacked by men of North African and the Middle Eastern descent.
Elsewhere in Germany, on the same night, hundreds of women reported rapes and attacks.
A man began to film the attack during the festival local media has reported
Many Germans have said sex assaults are a result of mass immigration from the middle east
Police later found notes which some of the men were carrying, translating lewd phrases from Arabic to German to help them assault and rob women.
Cologne Police chief Wolfgang Albers resigned a week after the incident.
Gangs of young men, also believed to have been migrants, molested women in Malmö, Karlstad and Kalmar in Sweden on New Year’s Eve, local media revealed in January.
Police said there were cases involving over 1,200 women, adding that apart from Cologne, sexual harassment was reported in Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Stuttgart and other cities across Germany.
The report from the Federal Office of Criminal Investigations (BKA) was seen by Germany'sSueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper and broadcasters NDR and WDR.
According to the report, at least 642 crimes of a purely sexual nature were reported in Germany. Plus, police registered 239 other “combined crimes” that involved both sexual assault and theft.
Of the 2,000 alleged attackers, only 120 have been identified so far, according to police reports. Many of the attacks were carried out in large groups.
“We need to assume that many of the perpetrators will not be investigated,” BKA President Holger Münch said, as cited by the paper.
According to police estimates, most of the identified offenders came from North Africa and over a half of the attackers had spent less than a year in Germany.
"In this respect, there is a connection between the occurrence of the phenomenon and the strong levels of immigration in 2015," Münch said, adding that there was no evidence the attacks had been somehow organized.
Cologne was the city where the majority of women were sexually abused - some 650, followed by Hamburg where over 400 women suffered, a police report said.
Since January 2016, the scandal of asylum seekers reportedly sexually harassing local women has been gathering momentum. Many of the victims, apart from being sexually harassed, said they were robbed.
In April, the latest report by the local branch of the German Interior Ministry said that almost all the suspects involved in the Cologne New Year attacks were from outside Germany, and two-thirds of them came from Morocco or Algeria.
In June, two men were found guilty of sexual assault on New Year’s Eve in Cologne and were given probationary sentences. The court said it was evident that one man, named as Hussein A., kissed a young woman against her will. Another man, an Algerian national, was a part of a group that sexually harassed women.
German media reported that two more men were found guilty of sexual assault charges in Düsseldorf and Nürtingen.
An overwhelming 1.1 million asylum seekers came to the country in 2015, and Germans are concerned about the future: 81 percent of the country’s citizens say the migrant crisis is “out of control” under Chancellor Angela Merkel’s authority, according to a February poll.
The video was shot on a phone camera and reportedly shows the assailants laughing, singing and dancing around their victim, who has passed out after drinking too much alcohol. The men pulled the girl’s pants down then groped and raped her, police told the Belgian media.
Police officials in Ostend, Belgium’s largest coastal city, discovered the evidence of the sex crime as they were investigating a 14-year-old student of the Ostend Technical Institute, who had been seen showing his friends a photo of himself wearing military garb and holding a sub-machine gun. The gang rape video was found on the boy’s phone.
Of the seven people arrested in connection with the gang rape, two are Belgium nationals and five are Iraqi immigrants. The oldest suspect is 25 years old.
The 17-year-old victim was identified and has been found. She said she had attended a party with her boyfriend and became unconscious after drinking too much alcohol. After waking up, she called a taxi and went home. She said she didn’t remember what had happen to her.
Several of the suspects showed little remorse for the incident, which happened in November, and didn’t even believe it was a crime at all, the police said.
“She has nothing to complain about. Women must obey men,” one of them reportedly told the police.
The attitude sparked outrage among Belgians
“It is clear that some newcomers have problematic beliefs about relations between men and women,” commented Ostend Mayor Johan Vande Lanotte. “When they have served their sentences, they must leave the country.”
Theo Francken, Belgium's minister for asylum and immigration, made a similar statement:“Rapists won't be given asylum. They will be sent back to Iraq if they are found guilty.”