- Islamization is transforming the North Caucasus into Russia’s ‘Inte...
- Imam of village mosque killed in Dagestan
- Two policemen injured in Russia's North Caucasus shootout
- Russian police kill 4 gunmen, deter terror attack North Caucasus
- Russian police officer, 2 brothers killed in North Caucasus
The imam of a mosque in the southern republic of Dagestan has been wounded in a drive-by shooting in the city of Khasavurt, a local police spokesman said on Tuesday.
According to the spokesman, the unknown assailants opened fire at the cleric as they passed by in a car at around 6:20 p.m. Moscow time (15:20 GMT) on Monday.
"Imam Tayfur Eldarkharov, born in 1952, was admitted to a city hospital with a shoulder exit wound," the spokesman said.
An investigation is ongoing.
Russia's North Caucasus republics, in particular Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia, have seen frequent attacks on police and officials this year.
MAKHACHKALA, December 15 (RIA Novosti)